Hod veHadar Adult Education
Program for 2018-19
Keva & Kavanna: Text & Meaning in Prayer
Tuesdays at 19:30, in the Library.
September (exact date to be announced): Aleinu: from Rosh Hashanah to the weekday service
Instructor: Shoshana Michael Zucker
Weekly Torah Portion
Friday mornings at 9:30 (note new time) in the library. The weekly Torah portion from varied perspectives, with observations about how it relates to today’s world. The sessions are led by instructors from the community.
Coordinators: Stephen Kramer and Barbara Schwartz
14 June: Beha’alotkha –Shoshana Michael-Zucker
21 June: Shelach Lekha – Rina Sheleff
28 June: Korach – David Zisenwine
5 July: Chukat – Baruch Kraus
12 July: Balak – Judith Edelman-Green
19 July: Pinchas – Dov Vogel
26 July: Matot – Sam Lehman-Wilzig
August – vacation
6 September: Shofetim – Sam Lehman-Wilzig
13 September: Ki Tetze – Gail Shuster Bouskila
20 September: Ki Tavo – Anita Tamari
27 September: Nitzanim – Shoshana Michael-Zucker
Sundays, at 19:45, in the classroom downstairs.
We are studying Tractate Berachot, chapter 9, closely reading the text, incorporating classic learning with modern thinking and research. The course also focuses on the relevance of the text to today’s world. The sessions are open to both men and women alike. Please check the Events page to confirm dates.
Instructor: Rabbi Lionel Levy
Halakhic Determination of Jewish Identity
At 20:00 Wednesday, 3 April; Monday, 29 April;
Wednesdays 29 May and 19 June
plus a special class on Shavuot night, 8 June
Download sources here.
Instructor: Rabbi Tzvi Graetz
Admission: Members: Free; Guests: NIS 30 or 4 classes for NIS 100 (no charge for Shavuot)
Halakhic Challenges in the 21st Century
Video recordings of these Hebrew lectures can be viewed on YouTube by clicking here.
- Introduction: What is Jewish law? + The question of providing supervision for restaurants that are open on Shabbat.
- Tattoos and earrings: What is permitted and what is forbidden according to Jewish law?
- Entering mosques and churches: the position of halakhah
- Status of Women in halakha (partition between genders during services, women’s service in the IDF, leading prayer services)
- Fasting Tisha B’Av in our day: how should we relate to the fast now that Jerusalem is in our hands again?
- Separation between Jews and non-Jews in burial
- Wearing a kippah – a halakhic obligation or custom?